Friday, October 1, 2010

Skyping, Homesickness, and my aching knee.

Hey all!

So, how are all of you? I hope well. I am pretty well myself :)

Uhm, so what have I done? I should get my journal out. Hold on now.

Mmkay! So, last time I talked to you all was on Tuesday. Mostly what has happened this week started Wednesday, so this should be good :)

Wedensday (Miercoles): We went to Bowery Mission! One of my favorite places :) I worked in the kitchen, helping Trevor(the cook), and Eddie(Edmund). I chopped celary and peppers, and wrapped sandwiches in saran-wrap. I wore my Goya bottle-cap earrings there, and they received quite an applause :) They are pretty awesome, I must admit. I'll wear my Jarrito ones next week! Also, next week is Eddie's birthday, so we're going to bring a card and maybe balloons and awesomeness!
Carey, Mel, and I got to do something very special at Bowery in the kitchen--dismember shrimp! That's right, rip the heads and tails off. Then I sliced open the top, and pulled out the long, slimey intestines. When you rip the heads off, it's squishy and crunchy at the same time, and their brains squirt out on your hands--yellow and red, like ketchup and mustard. Melanie got it on her face, that was quite a hilarious episode(mostly because it didn't happen to me! haha). We felt very accomplished after having done that. It was pretty gross, but we swallowed our guts(not literally, and I just made that figure-of-speech) and manned-on.
At lunch Mel and I talked with some guys about sky-diving. The name of one of they guys was Larry. We didn't catch the other man's. Non-Larry used to be a marine, and he had to do it twice, and said it was one of the scariest things he has ever done.

I had a bit of a headache and sinus pressure halfway through Bowery Mission, and then on the train as well. But I took some Sudafed and Ibuprofen and slept on the train, which is like an hour ride from Bowery to Manhatten Bible, which is where we went next. So, needless to say I wasn't feeling my fantastic self to deal with pre-schoolers the rest of the day. So I felt they were more bad than usually, but Carey didn't feel so as much, so I think it was my sickness affecting me.

I got to talk to my parents and siblings AND my grandma last night, cause they are AT my grandma's, and are going to the Bloomsburg Fair this weekend! I am super jealous...that brings back childhood memories.(Just got a text from Sie saying they had a good day but they missed me :) I MISS YOU ALL TOO!!!)
I also got to Skype Jordan Spear last night, and earlier this week I Skyped Paulie :) So I've gotten some home exposure, so I've been slightly homesick.

Today we would have usually gone to World Vision, but they were closed this week for a rejuvenation conference for their workers or something. So, instead we went to the after-school program, Operation Exodus, and did a song! We sang the "Hallelu, hallelu, hallelu, hallelujah--praise ye the Lord!" with the kids, which did not do good to my knee. It hurt a lot today..so much that I was actually limping :\

Highlight of today: I got to Skype Molly Geiger! I miss that woman, so here is a shout out to her! Hahahaha...<3

Carey and Emily just made Shoofly pie, and I find it especially delicious, especially with Vanilla Bean helado(icecream) :)


A couple of things to pray for real quick:

1. My knee. It has been hurting a lot, especially today. So pray that it would just heal, because it is just bothersome.
2. Melanie is sick. She wakes up feeling pretty miserable. Once she takes a nap and some medicine she is usually feeling alright, but just pray that she would get better in a jiffy. :)



That's it! Love you all!

4 comments:

  1. It made me laugh about the shrimp's, ahahha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is mom
    I want you to ice your knee every night for at least a half hour...or, if you can, right after strenuous walking. That will keep the swelling down. also, my dear, if you know you will be walking a bunch, take advil BEFore you go a hiking. It will keep the swelling to a minimum. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Evi, I am going to join your Mom/Hope in giving you knee tips. My knees ached a lot last year and the thing that probably helped the most was sleeping with a pillow under them and sleeping on my back (until my sleeping self changed positions). The other thing was changing shoes or getting insoles to make sure there was enough cushion under my heels (I think you mentioned having converse which are not very cushioned). Insoles can really be worth it just for the amount of pain they save you from.
    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete