Thursday, September 16, 2010

Leche de cow--and other great things!

I skipped a day, I hope you don't mind--but I'm back now! I skipped internet time last night cause I was pretty exhausted and wanted to get to bed early--which I did, and I didn't wake up until 7:45! So, I was wonderfully rested today, which is great because today was a big day!

I had a great devotion time and amazing time of prayer this morning. It's really neat, when Mike and Carlos were here and talked about prayer, Mike challenged us to set a goal amount of time for our God time each morning, and I set a goal of 45 minutes, thinking I would get used to that, and then bump it up 15 minutes after a little while. Well, for the past 3 days my Jesus time has been averaging an hour and 15 minutes every day. That is so encouraging to me, that I'm able to be focused and really be focusing on God's word and what the Holy Spirit is saying to me for that amount of time. So, praise the Lord!

We went to Manhatten bible today, which we also did yesterday. We went earlier today though because we helped with the food pantry there with Mr. Jones. It was such a blessed time--we just packed grocery bags full of groceries--but the people we were working with, the people running the food pantry, Mr and Mrs Jones, are such lovely people with servants hearts, just so excited for the work of the Lord.

After that we crossed the street and went to our perspective classes. I didn't write yesterday so I'll fill you in about the after school program at Manhatten bible, which is called Operation Exodus. Carey and I are with the pre-schoolers, and believe me, they need the both of us. I don't know how they do it when we aren't there. Anyways, the kids are so adorable--some are bad, yes, but most just want attention, and only know how to get it by acting out. One little boy Jaden often gets in trouble, but I noticed throughout the day how he is often provoked by other children, and reacts with his fists instead of his words. So, I was happy to be able to save him a trip to the time out when I saw a complete interaction with him and another boy. I later took him by himself and was able to play with him one on one, rewarding him with praise when he did good things, like be kind or sit quietly and color nicely inside the lines.
As for my title, most of the kids are bi-lingual, even at that young age, and constantly slip in and out of English and Spanish, which means I have to as well--which is great practice for me! In one such instance, a little girl, named Luiza, kept asking for her leche de cow. At first I didn't hear here, and I had to ask her to repeat herself even after I had--it took me a minute to realize that all she wanted was her milk. Her mixture of Spanish, "leche," and English, "cow," had quite caught me offguard. A funny instance in the process of learning a language.

We got done right as a torrential downpour started. We had barely gone the one block to our bus-stop when we were completely soaked, having forgot our umbrellas, of course. So we crammed into the bus with a million other people, all equally soaked. The thunder rolled and the lightening cracked with unusual immensity, and many of us ladies on the bus screamed. It was a little scary, but the bus driver was skilled! We got home safely, changing to a much emptier bus where we had seats and also had a friendly chat with a lovely old lady.

We got home and changed out of our soaking clothes into warm sweatpants and delicious leftovers.

And that's it! Pray for strength from weariness, and for funds to keep coming.

Love to you all!

3 comments:

  1. Love you Evie! Thanks for the great updates.
    Daddy
    ps-I'm forwarding your Blog link to Grandma Long (wish you could be with us at the Fair at the end of the week :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evi, wow...and hour and 15 minutes of God time! Girl that's amazing!! And so challenging for me, who spends about 15 minutes of designated God-time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am cold and wet, I like to wear delicious leftovers as well, especially if they have been heated up in an oven!

    ReplyDelete