Sunday, September 26, 2010

"You sound so cute when you speak Spanish!"

It's the day of rest! And what a wonderful day it has been so far! But first, let me tell you about yesterday :)

Yesterday we went and served with Manna of Life, which is a food distribution run out of Crossroads Tabernacle in the Bronx. It's run by a really neat, God-loving man named Pete. Boy does he love Jesus or what! Basically, it was an amazing time. We went to the LivingRoom, which is a place where homeless people can come and live, it's inside, they can have shelter there. There are showers, bathrooms, and even computers they are able to use. It's run by BronxWorks, which is a city-run thing. A lot of people go there who are in between housing, for instance if they've been evicted, or if they are victims of a "burn out," aka their home being burnt down. We brought food--sandwiches, fruit, juice, and hot soup. After we handed out the meal, we went up and fellowshipped with them. Pete shared some words, and then we just talked with some of the people there, getting to know them. It was really awesome. Next we went to a street where some homeless men live, and were able to bless them. After that, we went to a Women's and Children's shelter. Unfortunately they aren't able to enter into the actual building, because it's rather high security--many of the women there coming from abusive situations. They also aren't allowed to bring any food INTO the facility. But we were able to give out a good amount of food to some families.
Our last stop was at a gas station where a lot of migrant workers gather, waiting and hoping for a days work. So we were able to serve those men. I helped Millie, a lady who regularly helps with Manna of Life, and she speaks fluent Spanish, and I was using some of my Spanish with the workers--simple things, like "Quieres sopa? Quieres jugo?" And Millie goes, in a thick New York accent, "Awhh you sound so cute when you speak Spanish!" I didn't know whether or not those of a compliment or not, so I decided to think of it as that :)

We went to Target yesterday and I got another journal, cause I forgot I had another one. Haha. But it's like 70% recyclable, so that's super fly! Then last night we watched The Phantom of the Opera :) I love that movie, and it's nice, cause my whole team does. Well, it was Emily's first time watching it, she was intrigued by it. It IS a weird story. But the music is fantastic.

Today we did our song in church, God of Wonders. And Sister Michele wasn't there this morning, so Dorine asked if one of two would helped lead everyone in the songs for worship, so Carey and I did that. It all went really well. Great messages, Pastor Lou is such a greater teacher and preacher. I love his sermons and sunday school. I always take pages of notes.

Today was also Bonnie's birthday! Yesterday at Target, Emily suggested getting a card, so we did and then the five of us wrote little notes in it to her. So, Happy birthday to Bonnie!

After lunch we went on another adventure, this time to Barnes and Nobles! We got there safely, with no mishaps or anything, and we read, and Mel and I had brought our netbooks and had some wi-fi fun! Mel named hers, but I'm still looking for the perfect name. Mel's is Lewis, which I think is a great name.
We read for a while, and then us girls got something from the Starbucks in there. I got an iced Caramel Macciato :) Delicious.

We got home slightly before dark, and I got to talk to Seth on the phone for like an hour and half, which was a highlight for this week :) I miss that best friend. It was good to catch up, cause I only got to hang out with him a little bit before I left, when I went up to Messiah area for a weekend.

I'll give you a little update at what God has been talking to me about. I started reading Jeremiah, and so far it's a lot about God's wrath on Israel. But what's interesting is that over and over again God asks and almost pleads with Israel to return to Him, that they may not feel His wrath. He gives them SO MANY chances. And I've just been thinking, if God is willing to give Israel, who turned completely from Him--worshiping false gods, breaking every commandment, doing what was detestable in God's sight, chance after chance, how much will He also give us chances, when we make mistakes, and even when we deliberately sin.

I've also been thinking about martyrs, reading the Extreme Devotion book Bonnie gave us when we first got here, which is by the people who wrote Jesus Freaks--Voice of the Martyrs. I've been running into verses in the bible talking about those who die for the sake of Christ and the gospel, and just thinking about what that means to me, and how far am I willing to sacrifice. I'm going to share this story from the book, which has especially touched me and made me think--all these stories are true.

There were a group of Japanese christians, being led to crosses to be crucified in Christian-hostile Japan. A soldier pulled aside a young prisoner, a boy of twelve years old. He felt bad, the boy being so young. He told the boy "Please, just recant your faith and you can be free!" The boy smiled at him and said just as earnestly, "Sir, it would be better for you to follow Christ and come to heaven with me today!" And then the boy ran to his cross, knelt before it, and embraced it joyously. That boy was crucified that day along with 26 other japanese christians.
That story amazed me. That boy EMBRACED his cross! Can I do that? Can I EMBRACE my suffering? For goodness' sake, I don't even know what suffering IS. But what little trials I have, can I, DO I, embrace them with a joyful spirit? This is something that is quite frequently on my heart and mind. And I hope it puts some thoughts in your hearts and minds too.

Prayer is always appreciated--for strength, perseverance, and that I would boldly speak of Christ's love. And again with grace and patience for life in general.


Amor siempre en Cristo!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I finally got to check out Gloria's blog, have you seen it? I wonder if she sounds cute in Spanish too??? Maybe it was Penny's doing...hmmm. I wonder if GRANTLEY sounds cute in Spanish? I wonder, if I learn to speak Spanish, will I become cute?? so many things to think about...

    ReplyDelete