Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My most precious book..

Hello dear friends.

It has been a couple days, but not too much has happened as far as "doing things," and I wanted to give you a nice juicy update. So, here we go...

Sunday--Church, as usual. As usual? That sounds boring. Church, of course! That sounds better, because it really is much better than "as usual." Pastor Lou has an amazing gift of teaching. I learn so much from him! He reminds me of Pastor John(Uncle John to me :]) in his preaching style. I especially love Sunday school, because it has more discussion time as well. I learned a lot about Judaism and the different facets of it and the view of sacrifice nowadays in each of those facets.
After church we came back and ate a yummy lunch(basically, anything cooked by Bonnie you can guarantee being yummy). After that we went Pray mapping, which was pretty cool. We chose a block to walk around, close to the apartment, and brought a piece of paper and a marker and a clipboard, and kept our eyes open for places in the community where people gather. We also looked for establishments that were helpful to the community, or could be harmful. We mapped these places as we came to them, and then took a moment to pray for them. It was really cool, and I drew a pretty beautiful map, I must say.
The rest of the day was just chillaxin' time. We read from our Search for Significance books, had some internet time, and played another ridiculously long game of Phase 10, which is just our thing, taking that long, no matter how we play it :D

Monday, or Lunes-- We slept in a bit, because our speaker, Ken Hepner, wasn't getting in until lunch time. Mostly read really, oh, and every one of my days is started with some excellent God time, which is why my days have been so good, cause yeah, God is awesome. Ken got there, and we had a great learning time, and then he and his wife, Raina, took us all to eat at Dallas BBQ, which is a delicious place to eat. So, if you've never been there, you should go. We came back and had some internet time(I got to skype Paulie Tobias!) and just chilled some more, and us young folk stayed up a little later than usual playing UNO :)

Hoy, or Today-- Breakfast Ministry! Me, Carey and Mel went today, and we had 30 people! Which is awesome :) We provided 30 hungry people with a meal today. We ended up staying later to help Dorine and Cornelia(they run the Breakfast Ministry) with a delivery. So our session with ken had to be cut short cause he had to get back home by 4.

We have been fed so much of the Word it's almost overwhelming, but amazing. My daily time with Jesus has become my most precious time. And I've developed such a hunger for the Word of God! It's so amazing. The other day during team devos in the morning, Bonnie was talking about peace and joy and what that means, and while she was talking I just got this overwhelming sense of joy and peace welling up in me. It was really remarkable, it was just all I could do to keep from bursting out in laughter. I asked God for a hunger for Him, and He has given me that, and more! I was telling the other girls on my team today, after we had all been just reading our bibles, just to get more of it, about how when I was younger, especially in middle school, I felt the bible was so boring. I don't know why in the world I thought that! It's one of the most interesting books in the world. It has so many stories, true stories, that are simply amazing and fascinating to me. And to know the stories of the prophets and read their words of truth that still apply today!

On that note, I'm going to start putting in here a scripture that has especially struck me that day, or throughout the week.
Just the other day we were listening to music, just sitting together, and I put on the song my Sarah Groves called "Jeremiah." The chorus goes like this:

Jeremiah tell me 'bout the fire,
that burns up in your bones,
I wanna know, I wanna know more now.
The burning of ambition and desire,
never could come close
to that fire, to that fire.

I have always loved that song, it's beautiful, but I never knew where it was from in the bible! I knew it was from Jeremiah somewhere, of course. And I had just been thinking about those lyrics for these couple of days, and this morning I was flipping through mi biblia, my most precious book, and I literally flipped to the chapter, and my eyes fell on the verse! Crazy, I know, but God does crazy things.
So, it's in Jeremiah 20:9

But if I say, "I will not mention him
or speak any more in his name,"
his word is in my heart like a fire,
a fire shut up in my bones.
I am weary of holding it in;
indeed, I cannot.

I want to be like that. I want to not be able to hold in the fire of Christ.

Goodnight, I'm hogging the computer. I'll have mine by Friday!! Hallelujah!

Love always <3

2 comments:

  1. Dear Bev,
    It is so encouraging to read about everything that you are learning and to see how you're growing. Jer. 20:9-what an incredible verse! You're sounding like you're doing well and I'm pretty happy to know that. miss you lots, love you even more!

    xx Gabby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evie
    This is one of my favorite Sarah Groves songs. It expresses my feelings so many times in my life, and it isn't always easy when you know that some of what God has to say may be rejected. I am so excited how God is opening His word to you and making the connections for your daily encouragement. Mom and I are praying for you a lot and I know that this whole experience will be a faith-builder and an amazing experience for you to begin to really see the power of God and know the presence of Jesus and the Holy Spirit in your own life. We love you
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete