Friday, March 22, 2013

"...but the time has come for us to reclaim our bodies."


I feel like I've been talking about this a lot, but I think it's just so important.
I am girl, I talk with girls on a daily basis, and one thing that always sticks out is this: no one is satisfied with themselves.

     Whether it's weight, looks, smarts, personality--we always know where we're lacking(or where we think we are). No matter what someone says, we'll have a deflection. Sometimes it comes to the point of the inability to take compliments because we simply cannot not see value in ourselves. I'm guilty of this, and sometimes I'll give a weak "I know I have strong points, but.." and deep down I can't think of the strong points, or if I do, I don't feel like they're valued, so they don't matter. There's always someone smarter, prettier, nicer.

      This is so damaging, and it's come to a point where even other people's opinions don't matter--if you tell me different than what I see, I don't believe. It's a sickness, a distorted point of view. True victory over this plague has to come from within us, ladies. Only when we search deep at what is truly valuable, at what we were created for, and for whose glory we were created for will we be able to break the chains and take off the blindfolds.

     I'm going to share this song, which I have on several other social media sites, but it rings with so much truth I just have to, and it applies so perfectly. Again, I will say it is explicit. And rightly so. I believe every word it perfectly placed to make the impact more intense.


love your body the way your mother loved your baby feet 
and brother, arm wrapping shoulders, and remember, 
this is important: 
you are worth more than who you fuck 
you are worth more than a waistline 
you are worth more than any naked body could proclaim 
in the shadows, more than a man’s whim 
or your father’s mistake 
you are no less valuable as a size 16, than a size 4 
you are no less valuable as a 32A than a 36C, 
your sexiness is defined by concentric circles within your wood; 
wisdom 
you are a goddamn tree stump with leaves sprouting out: 
reborn

No comments:

Post a Comment